Wednesday 11 September 2013

Statements of Intentions

There are two contradictory maxims in writing:
  1. Write for yourself.
  2. Know your audience.

I, The Great Desmond, tend toward the former as opposed to the latter. I write for myself and not for an audience. Therefore I am pleased and surprised that there is an audience with which share my fancies. However, it behooves me to render some statements regarding my intentions at writing for those who have newly arrived to the Theatre.

  1. I am a writer of erotic fiction as opposed to a writer of kinky fiction. (As one wag put it: "Erotic uses the feather whereas kinky uses the whole chicken.") Erotic fiction is much more sensual to my eyes and ears and therefore is much more pleasing to my taste. You will not easily find outré elements of the further ends of the ranges of fetishes.
  2. I am a writer of sexual fiction and by that I mean that the stories so written involve sexual matters. You have been warned.
  3. I am a writer of sensual fiction and by that I mean that the stories so written not only engage the senses but in addition fire the senses and the imagination with sensuality and arousal.
  4. I am a writer of fiction that draws upon the imagination of the readers. Many scenes will be implied and suggested as opposed to being described explicitly. I am a writer that takes full advantage of the power of the imagination and the power of suggestion through the trance that I induce in my readers.
  5. I am a writer of characters who enjoy the hypnotic power they possess and the uses to which they put such power, especially but not always when the power used is without the knowledge or consent of the subject, because the less consensual the application, the more enjoyment there is to be had for all participants. However, I take no pleasure in torturing or mistreating my characters, even the subjects, save they should deserve it, and, if so, they will be shown to be deserving of it.

And therefore, what can my readers expect to find in my works? You will find stories about real people with real plots and conflicts, stories that involve some form of hypnotic power or an allied concept used in an erotic and sensual manner, stories that draw in the reader much like they were in a trance. For all that my dark side takes precedence such rarely manifests within my works: as much as I deign to ignore it, my works have even been reliably described as "romantic" and other such frivolous notions.

You have been warned.